ENVIRONMENTAL SUSTAINABILITY PLANNING
Corporate sustainability is no longer an asset of select environmentally-conscious “green” companies. In today’s world, most customers, investors, and other stakeholders expect sustainable operations from organizations of all sizes—not only in regards to environmental responsibility, but as a necessary means for cutting costs resulting from wasted materials, energy, and water.
Companies that incorporate sustainability into their operations gain a competitive advantage by reducing operational waste and its resulting costs. Sustainable companies also appeal to customers and investors interested in making environmentally responsible choices.
The expectation for sustainable operations now extends beyond internal facilities and practices. Stakeholders are increasingly looking at the network of suppliers from whom goods and services are purchased. Leading sustainability frameworks, including the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI)1, CDP (f/k/a Carbon Disclosure Project)2, the Sustainability Accounting Standards Board (SASB)3, and the Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI)4, assign credits or penalties to reporting companies based on how they connect their supply chains to their internal sustainability work. The sustainability practices of your suppliers, whether good or bad, now reflect on you and your business.
SUSTAINABLE TRACKING SYSTEM
WECC developed the Sustainability Tracking System (STS) as an implementation tool that effectively addresses the business requirements for a sustainable supply chain. The STS is a configurable, subscription-based SaaS strategy that enables companies to integrate their internal sustainability goals into their dynamic and far-reaching networks of diverse suppliers.
Sustainability Manager, Inpro
HOW DOES THE STS WORK?
- Your company collaborates with WECC to configure the STS to incorporate your sustainability values, communications, and priorities.
- The STS surveys your suppliers to assess the baseline environmental performance of your supply chain.
- The STS creates a roadmap for each supplier to start, or enhance, a continuous-improvement based sustainability program within its operations.
- Suppliers use the STS to access a wealth of online resources to support their sustainability projects.
- Suppliers document their achievements and report their ongoing environmental performance data through the STS.
- Your company recognizes suppliers who advance along their sustainability roadmaps.
- Your company uses the STS to report internally and externally on its progress in creating a more sustainable supply chain.
KEY FEATURES OF THE STS:FOR YOUR COMPANY
- Centralized data management tools replace cumbersome and error-prone spreadsheet-based tracking of supplier sustainability metrics.
- Comprehensive reporting offers valuable insights into both environmental performance and sustainability engagement throughout your supplier network.
- Supplier drill-down tool offers valuable insights to guide management of suppliers.
- Customizable online platform communicates sustainability values, policy, and expectations to suppliers.
- Single point of data entry reduces staff time required to respond to data requests from multiple customers.
- Continuous improvement orientation provides guidance and motivation in developing and implementing a sustainability plan.
- Online resources enhance understanding of sustainability issues, context, and tools.