Ten years ago this week, WECC staff moved into our high-performance, energy-efficient headquarters in Madison, Wisconsin!
In honor of 10 great years, we have compiled a list of 10 ways our building helps maximize energy efficiency and productivity.
1. Going for the Gold: The U.S. Green Building Council awards LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certification to buildings based on how they address various sustainability issues. WECC is proud that our building achieved LEED Gold Certification.
2. Sustainably Sourced Materials: Materials for our building were selected with the environment at the forefront. One hundred percent of wood found in our office was certified by the Forest Stewardship Council. Floors in our kitchen and other common areas were constructed from recycled tires, and our reception desk was beautifully crafted with wood from storm-damaged trees.
3. Solar Power: Photovoltaic (PV) panels on our roof and in our parking lot generate renewable energy for our electricity and water. You can track our solar panels’ performance here and see the energy savings in real time!
4. Environmentally Sound Lighting: Natural daylighting is the most environmentally-friendly lighting technique available. The south-facing orientation of our office allows natural light to illuminate 80 percent of the building. As an added bonus, each individual workstation has a view of the outdoors!
5. A Fresh Approach to Air Quality: All paint, finishes, and adhesives used throughout our building are low in Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC) to reduce fumes and indoor air pollution.
6. Water Savings: WECC uses innovative plumbing fixtures, including waterless urinals, dual-flush toilets in all restrooms, and low-flow faucet fixtures. The result is a 30 percent reduction in water usage.
7. Smart Landscaping: Many of our green building features can be seen before stepping inside. Two rain garden bioswales and a canopy roof garden reduce water run-off, and our pervious pavement allows rain water to seep into the ground.
8. High-Efficiency Appliances: Every appliance in our building is ENERGY STAR® certified. ENERGY STAR appliances are independently certified to use less energy and cause fewer harmful emissions.
9. Green Commuting: WECC provides preferred parking for hybrid vehicles and carpools. Our close proximity to public transportation and walking paths, as well as our indoor and outdoor bike racks, make choosing energy-efficient methods for commuting to work convenient.
10. Sustainable Business Practices: WECC staff is committed to reducing the impact of our business operations on the environment. On-site composting bins, the use of reusable and recyclable products, and hybrid company cars are just a few of the ways we stand by our mission!
We’re proud of the fantastic work we’ve done over the past decade, and look forward to many more years of championing and delivering innovative energy initiatives.
To learn more about our headquarters or how we can help you become more sustainable, call or email us today!