Looking to trim your budget in 2017? One way to reduce costs—and do your part to protect the environment—is to take simple actions at home to save energy. Over time, just a few small changes in behavior can add up to make a substantial difference!
1. Change or clean your furnace filter once a month. As dust and dirt build up on the filter, it becomes more difficult for air to pass through—causing the motor to work harder—and use more energy. Your furnace could overheat, resulting in costly repairs or even a complete replacement.
By consistently cleaning or changing your filter, you could save 5 percent to 15 percent on utility costs. A clean filter will also help maintain healthy air quality and extend the life of your entire HVAC system. Mark your calendar or set a monthly reminder in your phone to stay on top of it!
2. Set the temperature on your water heater to 120 degrees. In addition to saving energy, lowering the temperature to 120 degrees provides a number of benefits:
- Slows mineral buildup
- Reduces corrosion in the water heater and pipes
- Increases safety/prevents scalding
Set too high (at 140 degrees), your water heater can waste $30-$60 per year in “standby heat losses” (heat lost from the water heater into the surrounding basement area), and more than $400 in “demand losses” (energy used to heat the water used in your home).
3. Dry your clothes differently. On average, clothes dryers use the most energy of the major household appliances. In addition to purchasing an ENERGY STAR® model—which uses about 20 percent less energy than conventional models—you can save energy by:
- Cleaning the lint screen before every use. A clogged screen can make your dryer use up to 30 percent more energy, and can also create a fire hazard.
- Removing clothes from the dryer while they’re still damp and hang them up. This will save energy, prevent static, and reduce wrinkles and shrinkage.
- Drying one load of clothes immediately after another. This minimizes heat loss, reducing warm-up and drying times.
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!